The term veganism
means a philosophy of life based on the rejection of all forms of animal exploitation
Vegans do not provide any type of food in the diet of animal origin (including eggs, milk and its derivatives which are instead allowed in the vegetarian diet).
«To those doctors
who say that a child cannot grow without meat, I can reply that I have NEVER eaten meat, because when I was born my parents were already vegetarians. Yet, I excelled in the high jump and long jump, while now, at 79 years of age, I cycle 100 Km, play volleyball and have never suffered from any serious illnesses».
Margherita Hack, statement dated February 2001
(Margherita passed away in 2013, at the ripe old age of 91! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margherita_Hack).
What about in cosmetics?
Reading the I.N.C.I. (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients) table of a cosmetic product is no simple task given that normally only specialists in the field know the scientific nomenclature of a cosmetic’s ingredients.
The most common animals derivatives used in cosmetics are:
- Honey listed in the INCI as MEL o HONEY
- Beeswax listed in the INCI as CERA ALBA, BEES WAX
- Cochineal listed in the INCI as E120, CI 75470, NATURAL RED 4, CRIMSON LAKE or COCHINEAL
- Propolis listed in the INCI as PROPOLIS CERA/PROPOLIS EXTRACT
- Royal jelly listed in the INCI as ROYAL JELLY or ROYAL JELLY EXTRACT
- Lanolin listed in the INCI as LANOLIN (or its derivatives listed in the INCI as ISOPROPYL LANOLATE, AMERLATE P, AMERLATE W, LANOLIN, ISO-PR ESTERS LANOLIN FATTY ACIDS, LANESTA S, LANOLIC ACID, LANOLIN FATTY ACID ISO-PRESTERS or LANOLIN ACIDS)
- Stearic acid listed in the INCI as STEARIC ACID
- Glicerin listed in the INCI as GLYCERIN (there is no distinction in the INCI between animal or vegetable origin... we use the one of VEGETABLE origin, of course!)
- Collagen listed in the INCI as COLLAGEN, SOLUBLE COLLAGEN or HYDROLIZED COLLAGEN
- Placenta listed in the INCI as HYDROLIZED PLACENTAL PROTEIN, PLACENTAL PROTEIN or PLACENTAL EXTRACT
- Milk, cream and whey listed in the INCI as LACTIS LIPIDA, LACTIS PROTEINUM, LAC or CAPRAELAC (goat's milk)
- Lactose listed in the INCI as LACTOSE
- Eggs listed in the INCI as EGG, EGG OIL, EGG EXTRACT, EGG POWDER, EGG YOLK or EGG YOLK EXTRACT
- Silk proteins listed in the INCI as HYDROLIZED SILK PROTEIN, SERICIN or FIBROIN
- Elastin listed in the INCI as ELASTIN
rest assured, you will not find a single one in our products!
To find out more:
https://www.peta.org/: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organisation in the world, boasting more than 3 million members and supporters
→ If you wish to recommend a site, we will be glad to add it, write to us!